Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Lay of the Land Example

While reading Nicole's example of the Lay of the Land essay, I seemed interested by what is going on in the bowling alley. I could almost see the alley in my head. The essay was very descriptive, and talked about all the different aspects of the bowling alley itself, it was definitely well written, and I enjoyed reading it. The way it is started off with "It is 7:16 on a Monday night, and as I enter the brightly lit alley" (Williams 1) I was instantly pulled into it. It's like a story has begun. The use of adjectives used are necessary with an essay that requires you to write about the "lay of the land". She says "The sounds of shoes sliding against smooth wood lanes and bowling balls rolling like thunder then slamming against multiple pins rings in my ears" (Williams 1). This sentence is filled with adjectives that give me a great idea of what I would hear as well as what I would see if I was there. She talks about the people there and describes them as well. She talks about the different teams and the employees. These are also necessary when trying to figure out what the "lay of the land is".

2 comments:

  1. I really liked how you include specific examples from the essay to support your opinions of the paper. I agree with how the first sentence really pulled the reader into the paper, which is really important, to grasp the readers attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    I agree with you 100% about how the details of the paper made it seem more like a story than an eight page essay. As you mentioned, Mrs. Williams did a great job making the bowling alley come alive through her words and she captivated her audience with her opening sentence.

    ReplyDelete